Discovering a new country can be a wonderful experience. But, let’s face it. International travel can be challenging enough when you travel alone or with another adult, much less with the kids in two. From a logistical standpoint, it can be tempting to leave them behind with a babysitter. However, there are some very good reasons to travel internationally with your children.
1) It broadens their worldview. Seeing how other people live and discovering other ways of thinking about the world are so important when it comes to shaping one’s worldview. Kids who have traveled abroad tend to understand more about the world around them and apply that knowledge in their everyday lives. Helping them discover other cultures is a gift that will last a lifetime.
2) It teaches them how to problem solve. Observing the challenges of international travel first hand is a great way for kids to learn how to problem solve. It’s helpful for kids to learn at an early age that things don’t always go as planned. When you hit a bump in your travel itinerary, involve your kids in the problem-solving process. These are valuable skills that they will be able to use in their everyday lives.
3) It opens up future opportunities. Exposing kids to new places and cultures provides opportunities for them in the future—in terms of where they will travel, what they will study, and perhaps where they will live and work. International travel at a young age can plant seeds that grow into wonderful things in the future.
4) It refines their palette. Tasting new things and experiencing new sensations refines kids’ palettes—in both the foodie and the aesthetic sense. The more they taste, see, and do, the more aware and sophisticated they will become. This knowledge of food, art, and culture will serve them well in their futures.
5) It’s incredibly enjoyable. Both you and your kids will enjoy the experiencing new things together. Watch their wonder as they discover they world around them— it will bring you a lot of joy.
Don’t forget to ‘LIKE‘ us on Facebook!