On Thursday May 16, chefs rom across the UK will gather at celebrated East London pub, The Gun, to pit their slider skills against The Gun’s own head chef, Quinton Bennett, to determine who deserves the title of Slider Decider Champion 2013.
Yes, “patties are under construction, buns are being glazed” and one of London’s juiciest competition’s is soon to commence. The Slider Decider will see 25 chefs beef it up with this friendly showdown. From a very long list of applicants, the restaurants chosen to participate were selected for their innovative and “downright delicious” offerings. Here’s a delectable sneak peek of what’s to be cooked up on the 16th with the restaurants presenting in parentheses:
- Harissa-spiced mutton slider with crispy shredded mutton, charred tomato jam and lime crème fraîche (Duck & Waffle);
- Iberico pork and foie gras burger with crispy pig’s head, salted liver, courgette relish, lettuce, aioli and guindilla (Opera Tavern);
- Wagyu beef with comté cheese and caramelised onions in a wasabi bun (Sushinho);
- Slow-cooked leg of lamb marinated in chilli, garlic and ginger, tossed in butter and lime juice and served in a soft sourdough slider bun with onion and pickles (Dishoom);
- Sasebo slider using Wagyu beef, American cheese, quail’s egg, back bacon, oyster sauce, lettuce, cola-pickled onion, garlic māyu mayo (Nanban);
- Slow roast lamb shoulder with goats’ cheese fritter and confit tomato in a caraway seed bap (The Grove).
The rest of the entrants sliding into the competition include a tasty mix of pubs, street vendors and restaurants: Barworks; Blue Boar Smokehouse; Capish; Check On; Disco Bistro; Ed’s Easy Diner; Graphic; Nigel Frederick Butcher; Original Fry Up Material; Seven Park Place; St Austell Brewery; The Butty; The Bladebone Inn; The Plough; The Red Lion; The Ship; The Tavern; Tsuru; and of course hosting pub, The Gun.
Tickets to the Slider Decider cost £10 (about $15) and include a bottle of beer and two sliders (one cheeseburger, and one pulled pork with jalapeño relish) along with a chance to try some of the contestants’ signature slider creations.
The Gun is located at 27 Cold Harbour, E14 9NS. The nearest Tube is Canary Wharf Station. Visit the pub online at thegundocklands.com.
Don’t forget to ‘LIKE’ us on Facebook!